Ants are one of the most common pests in and around homes in the north central states. Ants are social insects and are divided up into three castes: workers, males, and queens.
The species of ant helps to determine the nesting site, food preference, and the best method of management. Often times, the most effective, permanent solution is to find and treat the nest; queens must be killed to properly eliminate a colony.
ANTS SPECIES’ COMMON TO WISCONSIN & MINNESOTA
The most common household ants you will find at home in Wisconsin or Minnesota are the Carpenter Ant, Cornfield Ant, Larger Yellow Ants (or Pharaoh Ant), Thief Ants, and Pavement Ants.
You may also find the Field Ant, False Honey Ants, Odorous House Ants, and Acrobat Ants in WI and MN although these species are a little less likely.
Look for entry points to your home and check around your home for nests
Set BaitsPlace baits near home entry points
IdentifyTry to identify the species of ant that you are dealing with
Eliminate NestsTreat and re-treat until all nests are removed
PREVENT FURTHER ANT INFESTATIONS
- Store food properly
- Vacuum Daily
- Rinse bottles and cans before disposing
- Clean all kitchen surfaces
- Clean regulary around household plants
- If you have pets, keep their feeding area tidy
- Check for water leaks in under sinks and in basements
- Caulk or seal gaps and crevices around doors and window frames
- Keep garden waste area tidy
Sorry, we couldn't find any related posts or resources at this time. Check back soon!